Top 5 Reasons for a toothache:
- Tooth Decay – Tooth decay is one of the most common reasons for a toothache. The plaque that sticks to the tooth enamel is full of bacteria that feeds on the sugars and starches from food particles. This produces an acid that eats away at the enamel, causing the tooth to decay and symptoms such as sensitivity and pain.
- Tooth Abscess – This is caused several different ways. The most common is when the bacteria that causes tooth decay gets inside the tooth affecting the root beneath the visible tooth. The second common cause of an abscess is untreated gum disease. In both cases the tissues surrounding tooth as well as the tooth root have become infected. The pressure from the infection causes a pain that can become severe with swelling if left untreated and can become life threatening.
- Gum Disease – Red, bleeding gums and dull pain in the mouth can be symptoms of gum disease. If left untreated this infection can eventually lead to recession of the gums and bone loss. The teeth eventually become loose, with a bad taste, bad breath and is very unsightly!
- Teeth Grinding – Nocturnal teeth grinding can cause tooth, jaw, neck and related muscle pain. Excessive teeth grinding can result in sore jaw bones and joints, headaches, and even cracked or chipped teeth.
- Temperature Sensitivity – Tooth pain that is triggered when consuming something cold or hot. This can mean that your tooth enamel has worn down and your nerve is being triggered, that you have a loose filling or a cracked tooth.
- A Cracked Tooth – sometimes it is very easily to crack a tooth. The biggest indicator that you have cracked a tooth is if it hurts to bite down on hard foods. Cracked teeth can take a long time to resolve!
If you are experiencing toothache make an appointment with our us today. Our dentist will be able to diagnose the cause of the pain and provide you with the suitable treatment.
08 9949 9340
Urch Street Professional Centre
Suite 1 / 12 Urch Street,
Beresford WA 6530
PO Box 1211, Geraldton WA 6531
Monday 8:00am - 5:00pm
Tuesday By Appointment
Wednesday 10:00am - 7:00pm
Thursday 10:00am - 7:00pm
Friday 8:30am - 4:00pm